Retirement Benefits

Medical Facilities for Pensioners

Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions

(Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare)
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,

Khan Market, New Delhi-110003.
Dated the 17th April, 2000

Subject: Implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of 5th Central Pay Commission – Grant of fixed medical allowance @ Rs.100/- p.m. to Central Government pensioners residing in areas not covered under CGHS.

The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s O.M.No.45/57/97-P&PW(C) dated 19.12.1997, 24.08.1998 and 30.12.1998 on the subject noted above and to say that pensioners, who are living in CGHS covered cities, but whose places of residence are not served by any CGHS dispensary, have been representing for grant of medical allowance of Rs.100/-p.m. The matter has been reconsidered in consultation with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. It has now been decided that medical allowance @ Rs.100/-p.m. shall be granted to such Central Civilian Government pensioners, if their places of residence are not served by CGHS or any corresponding Health Schemes administered by other Ministries/Departments, as the case may be, even though the places residence may fall within the limits of a CGHS covered city, subject to their furnishing the following documents:-

An undertaking in the following format:

I ____________________________________, a retired employee of _____________ (Office Address) _______________________ declare that I am residing at __________________ (Residential Address indicated in PPO) _________________________________________, which area is not covered under CGHS or any corresponding Health Scheme administered by the Ministry/Department of ___________________, (as the case may be). I have also not obtained and do not wish to obtain a CGHS Card and avail out-door facilities under CGHS/Corresponding Health Scheme of other Ministries/Departments from any dispensary situated in an adjoining area.

(2) A certificate from the medical authorities of CGHS or from authorities of corresponding Health Schemes of the concerned Ministries/Departments, as the case may be, that the area where the pensioners is residing is not served by any dispensary under CGHS or the Corresponding Health Scheme administrated by the Ministry/Department.

2. All the pension disbursing authorities are required to obtain the above certificates from such pensioners in CGHS covered cities before payment of medical allowance is made. An entry to this effect should be made in both halves of their PPOs.


Director (PW)
All Ministries/Departments of Government of India.

Department of Personnel and Training
Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances.

This site is Designed, Developed & Hosted by NIC / NICSI