Government of India
Ministry of Personnel,
Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare
New Delhi, the 11th April, 2001
Subject: Grant of dearness relief to Central Government
pensioners/family pensioners- Revised rate effective from 01.01.2001.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this
department's OM No. 42/3/99-P&PW(G) dated 28.09.2000 sanctioning the instalment of
dearness relief admissible from 01.07.2000 and to say that the President is pleased to
decide that dearness relief shall be paid to the Central Government Pensioners/Family
Pensioners to compensate them for the rise in cost of living beyond average Consumer Price
Index 306.33 (as on 01.01.1996) at the rate of 43% w.e.f. 01.01.2001 in supersession of
the rate mentioned in the OM dated 28.09.2000 referred to above.
2. These orders apply to (i) All Civilian Central Government
Pensioners/Family Pensioners (ii) The Armed Forces Pensioners, Civilian Pensioners paid
out of the Defence Service Estimates, (iii) All India Service pensioners (iv) Railway
pensioners and (v) The Burma Civilian pensioners/family pensioners and pensioners/families
of displaced Government pensioners from Pakistan, who are Indian Nationals but receiving
pension on behalf of Government of Pakistan, who are in receipt of ad-hoc ex-gratia
allowance of Rs.1275/- p.m. in terms of this Department's OM No. 23/1/97-P&PW(B) dated
3. Central Government Employees who had drawn lumpsum amount on absorption in a PSU/Autonomous
body and have become eligible to restoration of 1/3rd commuted portion of pension
as well as revision of the restored amount in terms of this department's OM No. 4/59/97-P&PW(D)
dated 14.07.1998 will also be entitled to the payment of DR @ 43% w.e.f. 01.01.2001 on full
pension i.e. the revised pension which the absorbed employee would have received on the date
of restoration had he not drawn lumpsum payment on absorption subject to fulfilment
of the conditions laid down in para 5 of the O.M. dated 14.07.98. In this connection,
instructions contained in this Deptt.s O..M.No.4/29/99-P&PW(D) dt. 12.07.2000 refers.
4. The surviving CPF beneficiaries who had retired from service between the period 18.11.1960 to
31.12.1985 and are in receipt of Ex-gratia @ Rs.600/- p.m. with effect from 01.11.1997 under this
Departments O..M. No.45/52/97-P&PW(E) dated 16.12.1997 are entitled to Dearness Relief
@ 43% w.e.f. 01.01.2001.
5. The following categories of CPF beneficiaries who are in receipt
of Ex-gratia payment in terms of this department's OM No.45/52/97-P&PW(E) dated
16.12.1997 will be paid DR @ 35% w.e.f. 01.01.2001.
The widows and dependent children of the deceased CPF beneficiary
who had retired from service prior to 01.01.1986 or who had died while in service prior to
01.01.1986 and are in receipt of Ex-gratia payment of Rs.605/- p.m.
Central Government Employees who had retired on
CPF benefits before 18.11.1960 and are in receipt of Ex-gratia payment of Rs.654/-,
Rs.659/-, Rs.703/- and Rs.965/-.
6. Payment of dearness relief involving a fraction of a rupee shall be rounded off to the next higher rupee.
7. Other provisions governing grant of dearness relief in respect of
employed family pensioners and re-employed Central Government Pensioners will be regulated
in accordance with the provisions contained in this Department's OM No. 45/73/97-P&PW(G)
dated 02.07.1999. The provisions relating to regulation of DR where pensioner is in receipt of
more than one pension will remain unchanged.
8. In the case of retired Supreme Court and High Court Judges necessary orders will be issued by the Department of Justice separately.
9. It will be the responsibility of the pension disbursing authority, including the nationalised banks, etc. to calculate the quantum of dearness relief payable
in each individual case.
10. The Accountants General and Authorised Public Sector Banks are
requested to arrange payment of relief to pensioner etc. on the basis of above
instructions without waiting for any further instructions from the Comptroller and Auditor
General of India and the Reserve Banks of India in view of letter No.528-TA,II/84-80-II
dated 23/04/1981 of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India addressed to all
accountants General and Reserve Bank of India Circular No. GANB No. 2958/GA-64(ii)(CGL)/81
dated the 21st May, 1981 addressed to State Bank of India and its subsidiaries
and all Nationalised Banks.
11. In their application to the employees belonging to India Audit and Accounts Department these orders issue in consultation with the C&AG.
12. This issue with the concurrence of Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure vide their U.O. No. 314/EV/2001 dated 10th April,
All Ministries/Departments to the Government of India.